Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Start at the beginning























I made my first quilt (almost two years ago) in a tiny apartment on a rickety little table in the dining "nook". There was barely enough room to spread it all out, and nowhere to stick my two cats to keep them out of the way.


















  



I had no idea what I was doing. I don't think I used a rotary cutter, I chose the worst batting possible, and for some reason decided free motion stippling was the only way to go. LOL, oh past me, you crack me up.
I also didn't know anything about binding, so I just went to Jo-Ann's and bought some of that cardboardy pre-made stuff! Did I read any tutorials on how to miter the corners? Nope. I'll spare you the close ups of that hotness!
All in all it was a bit of a nightmare, but it could have been worse. Ignore those two purple squares next to each other. I'm going to go ahead and assume I was drunk. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I just had to laugh out loud when you pointed out the two purple squares next to each other. Fun-ny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had to search for the double purple and laughed out loud. I love everyone's first quilt, yours is so much prettier then my first quilt which was a kit I bought at Joann's. This is pretty stunning for a first quilt! You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be proud of what you have done! I've been told first ones always make us cringe....it was actually my second one that made me really cringe! My first went to my niece/god daughter on her christening. My second was for my little sister on her 21st birthday. My third one - currently a WIP, is going to be for me to be put away for my first child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really not a bad first quilt at all! I just finished my first (today! no pics yet) and I'm split. I think it's a hot mess - squares aren't square, lines aren't straight, the binding is... best not talked about. But I also think it's wonderful because I learned so much doing it! Quilt number 2 will be better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I visit every commenter's blog! <3