Sunday, August 26, 2012

Dresden quilt finished!


 

Finally - a finish! Is this really the first finish I've had since June (wonky square rings)? Sadly, yes! I think summer is just a busy time. After my wedding in September, it's game on, a bonanza of quilty finishes. So I say now! :P

Here's the scoop on my Dresden quilt...

The idea began June 5.
The instructions on how I constructed this quilt were posted on June 11.
The progress was featured in a couple WIP posts throughout June and July.
That's 2.5 months in total! I didn't pay it nearly enough attention this summer, but it's done now and just in time for the contest deadline. :)
I'm entering it in the "innovative" category!



Quilt Summary..

Fabric: Poetica, by Pat Bravo, and some Kona solids.
Size: 53" x 72"

The design is based off of an 18 degree triangle template. I used the EZ Dresden ruler to cut wedges from a ginormous (54"x54") log cabin block. I arranged the wedges randomly in 8" rows, using a gray Kona solid as the background.

I did straight line quilting that echos the 18 degree triangle on the back of the quilt. The binding is machine sewn.



I love back! The triangle makes me so happy, and the light purple is such a great contrast to the dark gray on the front. I don't mind exclaiming over how much I love the back, because, to be honest - the front sort of didn't turn out as great as I had imagined! It's sooo dark. Too dark! I think I can live with it though. :)







Lots and lots and lots of pics! I'm really happy about this quilt, but it's future is yet to be determined. This one might be a gifter.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, and really, a great summer - hard to believe it's almost over!

21 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love that I didn't recognize it as a dresden right off the bat! And cool that the quilting echos the BACK. Very nice - lovely palette too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful Bethany! Your quilting looks fantastic. I love the back too - that is a great purple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so great, and I Love that you echo quilted the back of the quilt. So original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's dark, but it's still pretty darn fabulous. The grey makes the colours pop :) I love the quilting, to echo the back triangle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. um, yes. that is one rad quilt. you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, super cute! When do you find time (Arent you getting married soon?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a great quilt. I love the colors and the backs is very original. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt - both front and back. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I really like the dark front. It's dramatic in a way that triangles want to be. And you quilted it so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful, original quilt! I love the dark colors, especially contrasted with the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Job! Doesn't finishing feel great?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is great! It has so much action in it, like shattering glass or something! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of cutting a traditional block into something so untraditional. Very cool.
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like how this turned out! I love the layout, the back, and the quilting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning!! Love the back, too! Good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always loved Teal and Purple together but look at how those black patches pop! What a clever way to use the EZ Dresden Ruler.......beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilt! I love your design and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. First of all green and purple are my favorite colors AND they were my wedding colors! I love the back - it looks like a slice of purple/green pizza! Fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I visit every commenter's blog! <3