Wednesday, July 4, 2012

WIP Wednesday [new fabric and wall hanging woes]

Happy 4th guys!

Random: Does anyone remember Legally Blonde 2? Kind of a terrible movie, but there is a scene where Paulette says to Elle, "You look like the Fourth of July! Makes me want a hot dog real bad." LOL, it cracks me up. :P

WIP #1: Mario Quilt Along

Have you heard about the Super Mario Brothers quilt-a-long, hosted by Angela of Cut To Pieces? I'm so excited about this one - I think it's going to be the coolest quilt ever. A shipment of some of the fabrics arrived yesterday - woo hoo! Go check out the plans - it hasn't started yet. I'll warn you though, you need a LOT of fabric. I feel so bad about all the whining I've been doing over at the Flickr group, about the cost of all this fabric, lol! What can I say, I'm cheap! :P

In all seriousness, Angela put together a fantastic looking pattern, and even got the Fat Quarter Shop to hook us up with a discount code. I ended up going with Kona fabric, from Fabric.com, because the price couldn't be beat, but I'll be ordering the specially curated fat quarter pack from FQS.


WIP #2: Liberty of London Wall Hanging

Urghh. That's what I have to say about this one. Ughhhrrr!

I have a big blank space on the wall above my tv, between the two side bookcases. I wanted to make a simple wall hanging to go there and showcase my Liberty prints. This is what I came up with - I'm not happy with it. Somehow it just seems really bland, and the prints don't pop at all. I should have noticed this while I was making it, but I missed it. I'm hoping I can save it with great quilting and an interesting binding.


WIP # 3: EZ Dresden

Remember this guy? Yea, it's been a while. I haven't made much progress. Maybe I'll bust through it this weekend. Maybe... :)


WIP # 4: Paper pieced animals

I started this Sunday and I'm having a ton of fun with it. It's all I want to work on! I learned how to paper piece and found out I really like it. I created some templates  if anyone would like to make their own. So far I have a squirrel and a pig. I'll be doing two blocks a week for eight weeks, so there is more to come.


So that is what has been going on over here, hopefully you guys are having a nice holiday! I don't have any plans for today, just a nice relaxing day of... relaxing. :)

Linking up with Lee, from Freshly Pieced. Jess, from SewCraftyJess, is hosting today. Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. I will definitely make the pig if you put up a pattern! And, maybe it looks different in the photo but I really like the liberty quilt - I think it will look great after quilting and binding. Maybe you can add some hand stitched quilting? I think I've seen other quilt bloggers talk about how much that changes the look???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pig is adorable! I love your wall hanging too! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See now I want a hot dog. Persevere with your Liberty quilt. It's better than you think. Or... you could always cut it up and use the already patched squares as a starting point for a new version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very excited about that Super Mario quilt too! I am a bit worried about the price too, particularly the stabilizer. The few places I found it, it was $100 for 10 yards! I might just be piecing this quilt the normal way.

    I think you will like your Liberty wall hanging once it is finished! It is so pretty, love those prints. Your paper-pieced animals awesome. I am definitely going to try out the squirrel, I've always loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can bear taking the Liberty of London top partly apart, you could take 4x5 or 5x6 squares and surround them with very light and alternately very dark sashing. I saved my quilt from blahness that way. Take a look at http://www.tilkunviilaaja.blogspot.fi/2012/06/moderni-tilkkupinta.html. - This might work for you IF you continue being unhappy about your quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of see what you mean on your Liberty quilt-- but I do think you're right that quilting and binding will make it more interesting. It might also be more appealing to you when it's in its rightful home above the TV! Sometimes, context matters, I think.

    I saw this fabric and it reminded me of the Mario quilts everyone is making: http://www.marmaladefabrics.com/habitat-city-planting-p-1676.html Last year's fabric, but pixelated is in, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you already sew up your wall hanging quilt? I think it looks great as is, but if you want those middle patchwork blocks to stand out, maybe try using a darker gray color? I think that would help them stand out. Looking forward to seeing your Mario quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I visit every commenter's blog! <3